Setting up your online e-commerce store on Shopify is fairly easy; anyone with products to sell can do it in 15 minutes. That is the reason there are more than 600,000 stores on Shopify. If you don’t want to be just another shop on the internet, then you have to go an extra mile to stand out from the crowd. Sure, your product may speak for itself. But there’s another important factor that can make or break your business – the theme. In this article, I’ll tell you how to select a Shopify theme for your e-commerce store that catches the eye of your visitors as well as increases the conversion.
First things first, the Shopify theme store has hundreds of free and premium themes. And, a lot of online stores on Shopify use the same theme because it’s available for free. If you pick one such theme, that’s going to make you look exactly like the others, maybe even your competition. Websites that are not unique, properly designed, and functional are not considered authentic.
3 Things to Keep in Mind While Selecting a Shopify Theme
Selecting a theme is a confusing task because there are lots of themes available online. To make things a little clear, here are a few factors that you should keep in mind before you go theme hunting.
- Budget: How much are you willing to spend on your business? The pricing of the themes depends on the features they offer. There are free, cheap and premium Shopify themes. The more you spend, the more you get. But that doesn’t mean that you have to buy the most expensive theme available. Analyze your needs first, and then look for a theme that suits you the best and is within your price range.
- Quantity of Your Products: All themes are not created equally. Some themes are designed to showcase a wide variety of products while some are designed to put the focus on a single and specific product. I mean, if you plan on selling only 3 products on your shop, then you don’t need a theme with a mega menu and fifty pages. A theme that requires minimal navigation and is of just a few pages would be more suitable for you.
- Create a List of Necessary Features: Again, this also depends on your requirements. A theme that offers tons of features and is priced accordingly. You should decide beforehand what you want out of the theme. And, fonts and colors don’t count as features. If you are confused which features to look for in a theme, fear not, I’ll cover a list of important features in this article a little later.
So, to sum it up, keeping the above-mentioned factors in mind will take all the stress out of the process of selecting the best Shopify theme.
Why Pick a Premium Theme Over a Free Theme?
There’s a big difference between free themes and premium themes, and I’m not talking about the price. Sure, price should be a deciding factor, but it shouldn’t be the only deciding factor. Premium themes offer uniqueness along with professionalism. It is important because differentiates an amateur from a professional.
Next, the features. When it comes to features, premium themes will always win over free themes – in both the quantity and the execution. The features you find in premium themes are perfectly implemented and are properly designed. Your visitors will never face the issue of something not working properly on a page or a page with unusable and poor design. Impressing your customers is all about usability and functionality. And, you can achieve both of those things if you select a premium theme.
Another important factor is developer support. You should make sure that the theme you are about to purchase comes with developer support and future updates. In rare cases, if something breaks down, you need someone you can rely on to fix the issue as soon as possible.
Important Features to Look for While Selecting a Shopify Theme
Here’s a list of features to look for in a theme to make your online store attractive, engaging, and delightful to browse.
- Aesthetics: A theme should be aesthetically pleasing. The choice of colors, fonts, formatting – everything should be easy on the eyes and shouldn’t hinder the usability in any way.
- Responsive design: More and more people are using their smartphone to do shopping. If your website is not usable and doesn’t look good on multiple devices, your website will be negatively affected.
- SEO Optimized: SEO is the most important factor when it comes to driving traffic to your website. Following a proper SEO strategy makes sure that when a potential customer looks for you on the internet, they find you without any difficulty. If a theme is not optimized for SEO, you will have a tough time getting people on your website through search engines.
- Customizable: A perfect theme should be easy to customize. You should be able to do the little things like changing the color scheme and fonts, adding new images, change content, edit or add new items in the menu, etc. on your own.
- Megamenu: This is a must-have feature if you have a lot of products categorized under different sections on different pages. A mega drop-down menu makes the navigation so much easier on such websites.
- Search and Filter: Another must-have feature if you sell a lot of products. The option to search among your catalog and filter them according to users needs will surely make the process of finding your products easy.
- Wishlist: A simple feature every shopping website must have are Wishlists. People tend to create a wishlist of their favorite products on shopping websites so that they can buy them in the future.
- User reviews: Every product page on your website must have a section dedicated to user reviews. It tells the new visitors whether the product is good or not. Plus, people singing praises of your products can never be a bad thing.
- Easy checkout: Once the visitor has selected what they want to buy, they would want to head to the checkout to finalize the purchase. The process of selecting the product and going to the checkout should be easy. Something like guest checkout (finalizing the order without creating an account) could prove very beneficial to both you and your customers.
The features mentioned above are not some guidelines that you have to adhere to. They are some features that make the overall buying experience pleasant. Depending on your needs, you can remove some features or add new ones.
A business requires investments to run successfully. When it comes to Shopify, selecting a good theme should be an intelligent investment. Now that you know how to select a Shopify theme, dig deep on multiple theme stores on the internet and pick one that best suits your e-commerce store. Turbo Theme from Out of the Sandbox is an award-winning Shopify theme. It has a lot of features and our other reviewers recommend it very much. Checkout the turbo theme review, there is an amazing discount going on the theme, if you wish to buy.